Sunday, June 29, 2008

Welcome to Obese HOTD

Skinny Horse of the Day has a sibling!

The name was inspired by the Fugly Horse of the Day blog, but the similarities end there.

I will profile random horses selected from photos available to the public in an effort to show that obesity in horses should be no more acceptable than malnutrition at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I have a few online friends who I believe will offer up some photos of their "easy keepers" on request, but we'll start with my own. (I'm well aware than any time you point your finger at someone, three point back at you.)




This is my overweight Tennessee Walking Horse gelding ... no, he's not a broodmare about to drop a foal any day. I limit his pasture and he gets no more than a handful of grain to wash down supplements. He's just a big fan of eating.

He's looking better today ... a brief illness caused him to drop at least 100 pounds if not closer to 200. He's got more energy and to put it bluntly I feel better about riding him in his present condition than I do when he's packing more fat and sweats more easily.

In short, my opinion is that moderately thin is a safer condition for the overall health of the horse than is moderately obese.

I welcome comments and opinions from those who agree and those who oppose this point of view.

2 comments:

MommyOntheEdge said...

I agree, more than you could imagine. I can't tell you how many folks told me when my horse was MORBIDLY obese that, "I'd rather have them come back(from lease or buy back situation) FAT than a rack of bones" I've dealt w/both, I think rack of bones is easier.

huh said...

Great idea- even reading fugly I sometimes wonder exactly what they consider normal weight. I frequently think the horses are obese butter balls and the "starving" babies are a good weight for growing up sound! ;)