Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Excessively fat = not healthy!

When a friend shared this pic, I knew it would have to be a featured horse:


Click to enlarge... and just LOOK at that shoulder!

From the photographer:
"At the [horse] camp I used to run they had some HORRIBLY obese horses. I worked hard to get them in shape. The horses above are pictured AFTER they each lost [around] 250 lbs!

"I am so sad to hear from people who work there now that they had FIFTEEN horses founder this year. The people who took over after me said the horses were too skinny, so they started socking grain to [these] founder and laminitis cases, who I had been working to get down to proper weights.

"I found out these [three] horses are ALL gone now -- due to complications from FOUNDER."

This is what is called "killing with kindness" ... overfeeding to the extent that they become sick, crippled and may even have to be put down. I personally know of two horses that were purchased from that camp because they were founder-prone and often lame because the camp would not keep them separate from the rest of the herd to manage properly for their conditions. They are doing well in private ownership, but their diets have to be managed VERY strictly, as just a tiny bit of a bad thing causes immediate painful lameness!

If your fat horse is just fine -- it may be only a matter of time. Why risk it?

1 comment:

MommyOntheEdge said...

Exactly!

My horse had those fat pads two, I just didn't capture them so well on film(who'd want to) they were there. Also he had HUGE fat pads/deposits on the crest of his neck, like bubbles, it was gross. I could tell everytime the BO overfed him cause the ones that were gone one week would come back the next. Now thankfully they are all GONE! Amazing what proper care and feeding can do.