Friday, July 11, 2008

I know it's a mini, but ...

... is the belly really supposed to descend below the knees?

Another reader contribution:




Okay, maybe it isn't THAT bad ... but still ... the stress of that extra weight must be hard on those little legs.

His crowning achievement is "nice color all over." He is not broke to ride or drive. I have to surmise that his main exercise consists of avoiding being caught and avoiding being eaten by the big horse trying to nose into the photo.

Please don't tell me that ALL minis look like that. I'm certain I could easily prove you wrong, but I'm a busy gal today.

Look for a new Squidoo lens on AllHorses.us about the disgraceful TWH soring that continues to plague the who's who of the breed and WILL be the downfall of the Celebration and the registry if more sound horse owners do not pick off the lunatics running the asylum and make TWH showing what it should be ... about the natural, sound horse that is a joy to ride!

In closing, I KNOW how hard it is to keep weight off an "easy keeper" ... I'm fighting that battle with you! My own dear air fern seems to have gained about 100# in the past two weeks. Apparently I'm going to have to separate him from the normal horses again, and endure his pathetic one-eyed attempt at giving me doe eyes whenever I walk outside and see him wasting away in the smaller pasture ... drama queen that he is.

3 comments:

MommyOntheEdge said...

Looking at it closer, I think it is a dwarf mini, which, YES it is fat, however the belly may not be normal even if he weren't. They has issues w/ their organs growing to normal mini size while their bone structure does not, dwarf minis often have bigger head, nearly no neck, big bellys, and in the worst cases limb and spinal deformities. While I still think this little bugger is definitely portly, there may be an underlieing reason here. However he is so stinkin' CUTE and already gelded, I'd take this bugger home in an instant, if I didn't live in the city!

wino said...

that one is showing signs of dwarfism which makes him look worse. Must say I find my minis a constant challenge to keep to moderately overweight rather than obese (thin just doesn't happen with my guys)

SharaNihan said...

IME, more often than normal horses minis exhibit hay belly- which should not be confused as being fat.